Wednesday, July 16, 2008

You be YOU and I'll be ME

I just have to share something...

I've been learning a lot about what true security is. It's not about what I look like, where I work, how smart I am, where I stand in the family circle, how much I'm liked, how popular I am, what kind of car I drive, where I live, etc. etc. etc. It's about who I am in Christ. My self-worth is not defined by what someone else thinks of me.

Ok, so how does this play into scrapbooking and stamping? Well, it means that I can be me and you can be you. And we don't have to worry about if I like you and you like me because I am me and you are you. Are you confused yet?

I enjoyed visiting with a friend today (love you girl!) and we were talking about the differences in colors and styles of cards. It really got me to thinking about how God has made each of us different. He's made it so you like purple and I like orange. If we all liked purple, we wouldn't have orange, and vice versa. We are all different! And I'm learning more and more each day that it's ok to be different. It's ok to be me, and it's ok to be you!!

It's just getting to that place of liking who we are that's the challenge. Why should we spend the rest of our lives trying to be like someone else? I know I don't want to.

I was telling my friend today that when I was in 5th grade I decided that I didn't want to like the color blue because everyone else liked it. But before I got married I thought I *really* liked blue, so I wanted everything in my house to be blue. Now I have blue cobalt dishes, blue towels, blue bedding, etc. And now...now that I've grown and changed, I'm not a fan of blue. But that could change very soon! I will ride the color rollercoaster and enjoy it! Ha! I honestly think I liked blue so much because of my mom. She doesn't like most of the colors I like now. And maybe I finally found the freedom to like the colors I like. I LOVE orange! My mom HATES orange! It's such a simple thing, but wow, it's great to like what I like and she can like what she likes too. And it's ok...because we are all different.

What's important is that you like what you make! I cannot stress that enough! And that's not just for scrapbooking and card-making, but for everything in life. Why do something you don't enjoy? Why worry what others will think about what you made? And I think we can be softer even on ourselves too...it doesn't have to be perfect! Enjoy your life! Enjoy what God has given you! Enjoy the colors that make you want to skip down the street!

And for my friend...I know you will even love me (still) if I made you a "split-pea green" card. Haha!

No comments: