Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pinstripe Hat

Hello!  I thought I would share a knitting project.  It's been awhile since I've done that.
 
A few weeks ago I realized that Jeralyn didn't have a winter hat to wear, so I began to search for a pattern to knit.  It didn't take me long and I found this pattern on Purl Soho's Purl Bee's blog site.  I used Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino yarn.  It's a very soft, bulky yarn.  It's quickly become one of my favorite yarns. 
 
I started knitting the hat in the size for the toddler, but before I got to the crown, I realized that it was going to be too small.  Thankfully, a knitting project using bulky yarn is a fast project, so I pulled out the yarn and then knitted the 'child' size of the pattern.  Perfect!
 
I love the pin stripes!  The pattern didn't give instructions for a pom-pom, but I really wanted to add that to the hat.  I had never made a pom-pom before, so I found this video and made one.  It was so easy and simple!  And fun!

Jeralyn wore the hat a couple of times.  It fits her, but I wanted to make it more secure while she wore it (to stay on) and I wanted some ear flaps to cover her ears.  The hat covered her ears, but I found myself having to adjust it every once in awhile while she was wearing it.
 
I've only made one hat with ear flaps so far, and so I had an idea of how to make it, but I wasn't sure how to add ear flaps to an existing hat.  So with some inspiration from a YouTube video and using my own knowledge/experience, I made ear flaps.  Seriously, it was a proud moment for me because I didn't have any pattern to follow!

It took me maybe 15 minutes all together and the ear flaps were attached.  And the hat looks so super cute on her!
 
This was a fun project!  I think I may need to make one for myself!

No comments: