Thursday, July 15, 2010

Francesca Shrug

I thought I would show a project I've been working on. A few months ago I saw this sweater at a store and I really liked it and I was tempted to buy it, but I thought, "Why not make my own?" So...I searched and searched for a pattern--online and at the local yarn shop, but nothing turned up. I saw ones that came close to what I wanted, but I still wasn't settled. When I was in Michigan, my sister Amanda and I spent some time (ok, maybe a lot of time) in a yarn shop just drooling over their yarns and patterns. I described to Amanda what I was searching for and so we diligently searched in the pattern books. We found many that were close to what I was looking for, but still nothing that made me say "That's the one!" But I did find some other patterns for some other sweaters I want to make--hee, hee! After probably an hour or so of being in the store (Amanda was so patient!) and giving up on my quest of finding THE pattern, I *finally* asked the clerk if there was a sweater that looked like the one I wanted. And what do you know? She led me to the pattern. It was a moment of "That's it!!" *jumping for joy* So we left the store with 3 pattern books, 2 separate patterns, needles, and smiles! Our mission was accomplished!

You can find all of the information about the project at Ravelry, but if you would like the basic information:

Pattern: Debbie Bliss Rialto book, Francesca pattern
Yarn: Hawk 24318


One thing about this pattern is that it has really goofy wording. I actually had to write out some of the directions word for word so I could figure out what it was saying. This is my 3rd sweater and so far none of them have been the same or even close to being the same. I surely hope the back of the sweater is supposed to look like what is pictured at the top.

This is the first sleeve, which took hours upon hours to knit. It was very therapeutic though. I'm thankful for shows like The Cosby Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, I Love Lucy, and The Office that entertain me while knitting.

The ends of the sleeve were crocheted. I had never crocheted before, but youtube helped me figure out how. It was fun!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I found your blog when googling help on this Francesca shrug pattern. I'm having a frustrating time as well deciphering the instructions! I'm at the part where I need to shape the neck area. I got some help today from my local yarn shop and I'm going to try and figure it out this weekend.

Anyway, if you do happen to notice this comment and have a minute, I'm curious to know whether you finished your shrug and if you felt the rest of the pattern was manageable. Youc an email me at leslieandtroy@gmail.com

Thanks!

p.s. I love your digi scrapbooking, too. You have a terrific style! I'm doing more digi than paper these days myself.