Sunday, July 25, 2010

Journal Cover

I love knitting! I love making things for others! In fact, I have a growing list of gifts I want to make. This is something I made for my friend Carrie. I was at the local yarn shop and I found some turquoise-colored cotton yarn and I didn't know what I would make with it, but I thought it would make the perfect gift. So I bought two. Later on I was looking through some patterns and when I found this pattern for a cable knit journal cover, I knew it would be perfect! And guess what? The yarn I bought was the exact yarn needed for the project! That happened months and months ago. I didn't start knitting it until probably April or May. It's my first cable knit project. I practiced the cable stitches a few times and then dove right into the project. I figured I would learn as I went along. And sure enough, I did! This was the project that I was following the pattern wrong. It was quite hilarious! I just pulled out all of the stitching and started over again. By that time I was familiar with a lot of the cable stitches. The journal cover turned out beautiful!
Pattern can be found here: Ready, Set, Knit Cables

This was the first time I've ever blocked anything after knitting. I admit I was a bit intimidated by this process, but it was a piece of cake! I bought some foam squares from Knit Picks and some t-pins from the craft store and I was ready to block. All this blocking required was pinning the project to a board, pinning the pins around making sure it was the size I wanted it, and then steaming it with an iron. I had to do this 2-3 times because I needed to stretch it out a little bit more.





After it dried from the steam, I put the ribbons through and it was finished! I may have to make one for me!


Oops! This photo is upside down! I guess it doesn't matter though. The front and back are the same.
Is there a project out there calling your name, but you are intimidated? Well, just dive in! You can do it!



No comments: