Friday, May 4, 2012

Soap box

Every once in awhile I have to hop up onto my soap box, so here it goes:

I've been thinking a lot lately about security/insecurity.  Recently I've been doing a little reading and something got me thinking about it.  From what I read, children start to categorize things at a very young age.  And then there comes a time when they compare themselves to another as in categorizing objects, likes, dislikes, etc.  It's a sense of belonging, a sense of feeling like they are apart of something.  They find things that are common; they see things that are uncommon.  And this goes on through the teenage years through adulthood.  Tis true, but some children, teens, and adults take this comparing and categorizing to a level that produces insecurity.  If they are different than others, they may feel bad about themselves.  If they don't have what others have, they may think they aren't good enough.  This could happen with grades, sports, hobbies, penmanship, anything!  We can all see what we have and don't have compared to the next person--it happens all the time!  But what are we going to do about it?  Are we going to feel like less of a person?  Or think we are better?  Can you stand alone in your preferences?  Are you secure in who you are?  Are you secure in your differences? 

To be honest, it bothers me that kids see the differences.  I wish that they would all notice and then move on, being ok with the differences.  We are all different and unique!  No one is exactly the same!  But why do we feel safe when something is "the norm" or because we fit in to a group or society?  Why do we feel like we have to fit a certain mold?  Are you ok with being yourself?

Over the years I have learned to grow my strengths and stop pouting about my weakness.  I've learned to accept those things I'm not great at and focus on those things I am good at.  It doesn't mean I don't try harder in those weaker areas, but I no longer focus on them as if I'm a failure.  I've also learned to enjoy the differences between me and my fellow man.  For instance, I used to feel jealous when I would see women all dressed up cute and stylish, but now I realize that is not me.  I don't even like to dress up!  And now I admire that about other women and compliment them, at the same time feeling great in my jeans and t-shirt!  Such freedom!  Goodbye insecurity!

I've said it hundreds of times (and this is a reminder for me, too) and I'll say it again:

BE YOURSELF!  It's the BEST person you can be!

No comments: